Dr. Mohammed Al-Omran, MD, FRCSC, MSc
Dr. Mohammed Al-Omran
Scientist, Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science
St. Michael's Hospital
Dr. Al-Omran is a Vascular Surgeon and a Scientist at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael’s Hospital. He is a Professor at the University of Toronto in the Department of Surgery and an associate member of the Institute of Medical Science. His research interests include: atherosclerosis bench to bedside with special interest in peripheral arterial disease; clinical epidemiology and health services research with a focus on using large healthcare administrative databases to conduct population-based analyses of individuals with aortic, carotid, and peripheral arterial disease; knowledge translation; and systematic reviews and meta-analyses. Dr. Al-Omran has published widely in high-impact peer-reviewed journals such as the New England Journal of Medicine, Circulation and the Journal of Vascular Surgery. Dr. Al-Omran has been the recipient of several teaching and research awards, and he has supervised research trainees of all levels including: undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate fellows. He currently serves as the Head of the Division of Vascular Surgery at St. Michael’s Hospital (2013-present) and his clinical practice is focused on management of rare vascular diseases such as thoracic outlet syndrome and carotid body tumors.
Research Interest: Cardiovscular Disease and Diabetic Research Program
- Mantella, LE, Singh, KK, Sandhu, P, Kantores, C, Ramadan, A, Khyzha, N et al.. Fingerprint of long non-coding RNA regulated by cyclic mechanical stretch in human aortic smooth muscle cells: implications for hypertension. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2017; :. doi: 10.1007/s11010-017-3065-2. PubMed PMID:28526936 .
- Hussain, MA, Mamdani, M, Tu, JV, Saposnik, G, Aljabri, B, Bhatt, DL et al.. Long-term Outcomes of Carotid Endarterectomy Versus Stenting in a Multicenter Population-based Canadian Study. Ann. Surg. 2017; :. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002301. PubMed PMID:28498234 .
- Yau, JW, Singh, KK, Hou, Y, Lei, X, Ramadan, A, Quan, A et al.. Endothelial-specific deletion of autophagy-related 7 (ATG7) attenuates arterial thrombosis in mice. J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2017; :. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2017.02.058. PubMed PMID:28400112 .
- Singh, KK, Matkar, PN, Pan, Y, Quan, A, Gupta, V, Teoh, H et al.. Endothelial long non-coding RNAs regulated by oxidized LDL. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2017;431 (1-2):139-149. doi: 10.1007/s11010-017-2984-2. PubMed PMID:28316063 .
- Ramadan, A, Al-Omran, M, Verma, S. The putative role of autophagy in the pathogenesis of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Atherosclerosis. 2017;257 :288-296. doi: 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2017.01.017. PubMed PMID:28139205.
- El Morr, C, AlHamzah, M, Ng, P, Purewal, A, Al-Omran, M. Knowledge of peripheral arterial disease: Results of an intervention to measure and improve PAD knowledge in Toronto. Vascular. 2017; :1708538116689355. doi: 10.1177/1708538116689355. PubMed PMID:28121280 .
- Khoushhal, Z, Hussain, MA, Greco, E, Mamdani, M, Verma, S, Rotstein, O et al.. Prevalence and Causes of Attrition Among Surgical Residents: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Surg. 2017;152 (3):265-272. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2016.4086. PubMed PMID:27973673 .
- Hussain, MA, Mamdani, M, Tu, JV, Saposnik, G, Khoushhal, Z, Aljabri, B et al.. Impact of Clinical Trial Results on the Temporal Trends of Carotid Endarterectomy and Stenting From 2002 to 2014. Stroke. 2016;47 (12):2923-2930. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.014856. PubMed PMID:27834754 PubMed Central PMC5120767.
- Tam, DY, Al-Omran, M. Thoracic outlet syndrome. CMAJ. 2016;188 (16):1179. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.151087. PubMed PMID:27354672 PubMed Central PMC5088081.
- Hussain, MA, Al-Omran, M, Mamdani, M. Efficacy of a Guideline-Recommended Risk-Reduction Program to Improve Cardiovascular and Limb Outcomes in Patients With Peripheral Arterial Disease. J. Vasc. Surg. 2016;64 (2):535. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2016.06.055. PubMed PMID:27763276 .
Affiliations & Other Activities
Head, Division of Vascular Surgery, St. Michael’s Hospital
Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto
Associate Member, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto
Professor, Department of Surgery, King Saud University